Friday, April 6, 2012

Adios, Quiteños


We arrived early on a Tuesday morning. Sarah opened the door, and the last day had begun. Not for me. For Malte, Madhuri & Bea. Sad story. Good news: It started with a delicious, self-made brunch!


It went on with some chilling out, another (a last) radio show and some Indian dinner.


The next morning Bea and I looked for (and finally even found) some stamps for her dad’s collection. And then, again, it was time to say goodbye. A travelers never ending nightmare.

They reached German ground successful despite a strike of Spanish laborers. Sarah and I went for a paintball battle. Cheap fun, that is. But it sometimes hurts. *g*


After an acceptable lunch in the nearby food court Quito was calling, and again, we parted from people I might never see again.

To make up for them, Julez arrived, and the last week in Ecuador’s capital had begun. We spent it eating burgers…


…eating pancakes (for which Sarah broke her commitment to not eat sweets until Easter)…


…watched a lot of movies, faked LAN parties…


…and finally took the last picture with Sarah. For now. :) (To secure a reunion, we let our dirty clothes get locked at the laundry, and Sarah will take them home to Germany. Thanks for that, my dear!)


We spent a last evening with Sarina…


…Wlady and his girlfriend Kim…


…and I decided to leave my hair behind as well. :) We were ready for  the jungle!


Quito, those were impressive and interesting four months. I learned a lot, from my salsa lessons at Rhytmo Salvaje to Spanish vocabulary and grammar at Banana Spanish School to stuff like html programming and Ecuadorian sales and marketing techniques at Haugan Cruises. (The ladder finally reimbursed me for January with 150$. Not even half of what I should have received, but well, better than nothing. I was just sick of such senseless discussions, in which each time you’ll get a different statement which will then again be twisted into the opposite once you leave the office. Sad truth, but dear Haugan Cruises management department (and especially Washington del Pino), you really ruined my faith in Ecuadorian honesty.) Apart from that, I thank all the figures, creatures and characters I had the pleasure to meet here. You made my four months what they were in the end – unforgettable.

I don’t know if I’ll ever return. I wouldn’t bet on it. But I wouldn’t bet against it either…

1 comment:

  1. El que pega primero, pega dos veces!.... que brutal saber esto, y para cerrar en definitiva "la vida no es un grano de mostaza" gracias Chris feo por esto que llega (tarde)... pero llega!

    ReplyDelete